Residential Demolition is an essential part of a number of renovation projects. However, the process can be dangerous, frustrating, and expensive. If it’s not done right, it can nip your whole renovation project in the bud. If you decide to do it yourself and choose not to work with demolition contractors, make sure you follow thses safety guidelines.
Approach demolition with the mindset that it is a project all on its own, not merely the prelude to the “real” project of renovating. There are people who do nothing but demolition, you should take the same kind of professional approach to doing the work yourself. Think of yourself as wearing a “demo” hat for a while, and don’t rush the project. When demolition is completely done and cleanup is complete, you can proceed to renovation. All too many remodeling projects run into problems when the demolition phase trickles over into the construction phase, and it often leads to wasted effort.
Make sure electricity and water have been turned off to the demo area to ensure your safety. That last thing you want is to cut into live electrical wires or punch into a pressurized water supply pipe. If you need light, run an extension cord from another room and illuminate the room with a utility light.
Prepping for Residential Demo
Once electricity and water supply have been shut off, take the steps to get both yourself and the area ready for demo.
- Get the right tools: Just as you carefully select a drill or a saw for a construction project, you need to select proper tools for your destruction project. Have at least a sledgehammer, a crowbar (the big kind), a prybar (the flat, hand-held tool), and a claw hammer that you don’t particularly care about (it will get dinged up and may even break). A reciprocating saw is necessary for most major demolition jobs. For floor or roofing demolition, a demo fork can make it much easier to pry up materials. A wheelbarrow for hauling debris to the dumpster is essential.
- Wear the right outfit: This isn’t about fashion, but rather about safety. Wear thick-soled boots to avoid stepping on nails and screws. You can buy disposable paper coveralls to put over your clothes if you’re doing something extremely dirty such as tearing out a ceiling. If you are doing floor demolition or other work that involves hands-and-knees, a good pair of knee pads will work wonders. If you’ll be doing a lot of heavy work and lifting, a back support belt will ease your fatigue. Wear a sturdy plastic hard hat whenever working overhead.
- Seal off the demo area: If there is an opening anywhere, drywall and plaster dust will find it and drift into other areas of the home. Merely closing a door on demo usually isn’t good enough. Seal openings with sheets of plastic, and secure them in place with blue tape or use a ready-made system like the Zipwall Dust Barrier. Make sure to also cover up air ducts and cold air returns, because an enormous amount of dust can be distributed all over your house by the forced air HVAC system.
- Rent a dumpster: Rather than making multiple trips to a landfill, rent a roll-off dumpster and park it where you have easy access. A dumpster with a drop-gate is a good idea, as it makes it easy to fill it with debris by wheelbarrow.
During Your House Demolition
Home demolition isn’t a one-person job, and not only because it’s a lot of work. It’s also important to have someone around for safety precautions, particularly if you need to remove kitchen cabinets. Other practices to keep in mind include:
- Use a respirator or dust mask. If you can’t stand wearing a respirator or feel certain you’re not dealing with hazardous materials, at least use a dust mask that will filter out most particles.
A HEPA respirator is best if you’re kicking up dust in an old house, because asbestos, lead-based paint, or other hazards could be in that debris.
- Learn what’s lies beneath (or behind). Before swinging that sledgehammer or crowbar, try to determine what is behind that wall. Live electrical wires? Water pipe? Gas lines? Asbestos? Exploratory holes, stud finders, and flashlights work wonders at helping you find out what’s in there—but until you know for sure, always assume that there’s a live electrical wire behind the surfaces.
- Clean as you go. If you’re doing a demo project of any real scale, it’s worth every penny to rent a roll-off dumpster bin. This can save you from multiple trips to the landfill.
After You’re Done
Even if you have been cleaning up as you go, demolition is a messy job. Finish up the project before you start the renovation process by hiring a hauling service. These are less cost-effective than the roll-off, but good for demo projects smaller than a roll-off. For instance, if you’re tearing out a small-to-medium-size bathroom, you may want to just dump everything on the back patio and have the hauling company deal with it.
Finally, completely sweep and vacuum the work area. It is best to start with a completely clean slate as you move into active construction. Even a quick damp mopping is a good idea. The remodeling construction that comes next, will, of course, generate its own dust and debris, but try to make opened wall cavities and subfloors as clean as possible before sealing them up with drywall or flooring. Especially if you have family members with asthma or allergy issues, the less dust that ends up sealed inside wall cavities, the happier and healthier they will be.
Austin Demolition Services
712 Congress Ave #927
Austin, TX 78701
Austin Demolition Contractors
demolition contractors,demolition austin,austin demolition,demolition company austin,demo company austin,austin demolition company,demolition company austin,concrete demolition austin,austin demolition services,demolition contractors austin,residential demolition austin,demolition services austin,demo contractor austin,house demolition austin,bathroom demolition austin,kitchen demolition austin,concrete removal austin,pool 0demolition austin,garage demolition austin,austin demolition contractors,austin demo company,austin residential demolition,austin residential demolition services,austin house demolition,austin home demolition,austin interior demolition,austin bathroom demolition,austin concrete removal,austin concrete demolition,austin swimming pool removal,austin garage demolition,austin shed demolition,austin shed removal,austin deck demolition,austin fence removal,residential demolition austin,residential demolition services austin,austin demo contractor,austin kitchen demolition,austin demolition service,demolition service austin,concrete removal,concrete disposal,concrete removal cost,concrete removal near me,demo contractor,concrete removal service,demo contractors,demolition cost austin,cost to demolish a house austin,concrete disposal austin,concrete slab removal ,austin,pool removal austin,above ground pool removal austin,pool excavation austin,fiberglass pool removal austin,junk trailer removal austin,trailer removal austin,shed removal austin,deck removal austin,deck demolition austin,fence removal austin,austin pool filling service,austin swimming pool demolition,austin shed removal services,austin storage shed removal,austin shed removal prices,concrete disposal austin,local demolition ,ontractors austin,interior demolition contractors austin,demolition removal austin,home demolition austin,demolition disposal austin,demolition debris austin,demolition clean up austin,housing demolition austin,demolition hauling austin,interior demolition austin,tear down a house austin,demolition crew austin,cost to fill in a pool austin,concrete breaker austin,concrete dump austin,concrete removal cost austin,cement remover austin,concrete cutting and breaking austin,breaking up concrete austin,concrete removal companies austin,concrete removal service austin,removing concrete patio austin,concrete slab removal cost austin,concrete demolition cost austin,concrete demolition contractors austin,concrete pool removal austin,concrete driveway removal austin,asphalt parking lot removal austin,concrete sidewalk removal austin,concrete foundation removal austin,pool filling service austin,illing in a pool austin,fill a pool austin,pool removal cost austin,above ground pool removal cost austin,inground pool removal austin,pool removal contractor austin,cost to remove inground pool austin,swimming pool removal austin,filling in an inground pool austin,filling in a swimming pool austin,fill pool with dirt austin,pool removal near me austin,swimming pool filling austin,swimming pool demolition austin,swimming pool removal cost austin,pool demolition cost austin,cost to fill in a swimming pool austin,swimming pool removal service austin,pool demolition contractors austin,filling in an inground pool with a liner austin,inground pool demolition austin,pool demo austin,pool filling service cost austin,fill in ground swimming pool austin,swimming pool demolition cost austin,pool removal service austin,above ground pool removal service austin,removal of inground swimming pool ,austin,mobile home demolition austin,mobile home removal austin,mobile home removal services austin,mobile home removal companies austin,mobile home removal cost austin,mobile home disposal austin,mobile home disposal services austin,mobile home disposal cost austin,junk mobile home removal austin,mobile home demolition cost austin,trailer home disposal austin,trailer home removal austin,trailer removal cost austin,trailer removal service austin,trailer disposal austin,travel trailer disposal austin,garage demolition cost austin,garage removal austin,shed demolition austin,garage removal cost austin,garage demo austin,shed removal services austin,storage shed removal austin,shed removal prices austin,barn demolition austin,old barn removal austin,barn demolition cost austin,deck removal cost austin,old deck removal austin,deck demolition cost austin,deck removal service austin,fence removal cost austin,fence removal service austin,fence removal companies austin,chain link fence removal austin,old fence removal austin,austin demolition cost,austin local demolition ,contractors,austin interior demolition contractors,austin demolition removal,austin demolition disposal,austin demolition debris,,austin demolition clean up,austin housing demolition,austin demolition hauling,austin cost to demolish a house,austin tear down a house,austin demolition crew,austin concrete disposal,austin cost to fill in a pool,austin concrete breaker,austin concrete dump,austin concrete removal cost,austin cement remover,austin concrete cutting and breaking,austin breaking up concrete,austin concrete removal companies,austin concrete slab removal,austin concrete removal service,austin removing concrete patio,austin concrete slab removal cost,austin concrete demolition cost,austin concrete demolition contractors,austin concrete pool removal,austin concrete driveway removal,,austin asphalt parking lot removal,austin concrete sidewalk removal,austin concrete foundation removal,austin pool removal,austin filling in a pool,austin fill a pool,austin pool demolition,austin pool removal cost,austin above ground pool removal,austin above ground pool removal cost,austin pool excavation,austin inground pool removal,austin pool removal contractor,austin cost to remove inground pool,austin filling in an inground pool,austin filling in a swimming pool,austin fill pool with dirt,austin pool removal near me,austin swimming pool filling,austin swimming pool removal cost,austin pool demolition cost,austin cost to fill in a swimming pool,austin swimming pool removal service,austin pool demolition contractors,austin filling in an inground pool with a liner,austin inground pool demolition,austin pool demo,austin pool filling service cost,austin fiberglass pool removal,austin fill in ground swimming pool,austin swimming pool demolition cost,austin pool removal service,austin above ground pool removal service,austin removal of inground swimming pool,austin mobile home demolition,austin mobile home removal,austin mobile home removal services,austin mobile home removal companies,austin mobile home removal cost,austin mobile home disposal,austin mobile home disposal services,austin mobile home disposal cost,austin junk mobile home removal,austin mobile home demolition cost,austin junk trailer removal,austin trailer home disposal,austin trailer home removal,austin trailer removal cost,austin trailer removal,austin trailer removal service,austin trailer disposal,austin travel trailer disposal,austin garage demolition cost,austin garage removal,austin garage removal cost,austin garage demo,austin barn demolition,austin old barn removal,austin barn demolition cost,austin deck removal,austin deck removal cost,austin old deck removal,austin deck demolition cost,austin deck removal service,austin fence removal cost,austin fence removal service,austin fence removal companies,austin chain link fence removal,austin old fence removal